“Vegan Diet Entree”
Many people have specific dietary needs that have to be followed for their health, culture, or religion. You may know someone who has a food allergy, is lactose intolerant, is sensitive to gluten, or is a vegetarian. It is important to be aware of the nutritional needs of our family, friends, and coworkers.
Your assignment will involve researching, planning, designing, and analyzing the nutritional composition of a vegan dinner entrée.
Your paper will include:
1. A download of the picture/recipe of each of the three vegan entrees you researched.
2. Chose a vegan entrée to analyze for this project. It can be one you found an image/recipe for or one you created based on your research.
3. For the one you chose to analyze, copies of the recipes for its components.
• Seed or nut
• Any other component
4. Any other component, Such as: Does your entrée contain any soy-based ingredients; cubes of sautéed marinated tofu for texture and protein, or pureed silken tofu to add creaminess? An example would be an Alfredo sauce made with pureed tofu and flavored with soy cheese, served with an entrée. Any vegetable-based flavor builders like nutritional yeast, tamari, etc. to add an umami flavor. Any analogous foods; (meat substitutes) ground beyond burger, soy cheese? Any grain or nut dairy substitutes: Almond, cashew, coconut glasses of milk?
5. A photo or scan of your drawing of the plate layout of your entree. Label items and list amounts. Identify which is a legume, grain, nut/seed, vegetable? (Plate layout form to draw on is included with this info sheet)
6. Compute the nutritional analysis of the recipe (or recipes) using “Diet and Wellness Plus” at “the Cengage student website” access thru D2L.
7. First, press the icon on the top left, choose “Track Diet”, press “recipes”(middle left), press “create new recipe”, title, and input the ingredients. It will compute a nutritional analysis of the recipe (or recipes) Print the pages. If your recipe comes with a nutritional analysis, include that instead.
8. Fill in the form with the amount of protein, calories, fat, sat. fat, iron, or other nutrients you feel are relevant, in each of the components of your entrée. Total the amounts.
9. A conclusion paper: Comment on the amount in grams of protein in each component of the entrée, and its total protein. How does this compare with our needs for a dinner entree?( Men 50 grams, Women 40 grams) Consider nutrients, like vit B12, iron, calcium, Vit D, and omega 3 fatty acids, at risk on a vegan diet. How does your entrée meet any of these? (Per Chapter Two Highlight and the PowerPoint)
10. A separate reference page containing a reference for each of the images/recipes.
11. The paper is to be typed, font size 12, one and a half spaced.
12. A cover page, with the title of the paper, course name, and number, student’s name.
13. This assignment is worth 25 points.
Protein Calories Fat Sat. Flat Iron
Seed or Nut
Image preview for”does your entrée contain any soy-based ingredients; cubes of sautéed marinated tofu for texture and protein”