A. Term Paper Project Description Direction
The term project is a written report on the Human Resources Management policies and practices of an organization, or any current event occurring in the ever-changing field of HRM. The objective is to demonstrate mastery of the subject matter covered in the course and your ability to apply that knowledge.
Each student has some freedom in selecting the company to study. You may select a Fortune 500 company, any large or small, private or public organization, including non-profits (not for profit) However the organization you select must be one that has displayed exemplary management practices or not, or achieved excellence in some area, or may have been in the news negatively or positively. Please bear in mind that you need to select a company for which information is publicly available.
B. Content of Report
Your report should include but is not limited to:
1. Organizational Mission, Values, Customers, and Competitors
• Present the organization’s mission statement
• Provide a brief history of the organization
• Identify its main customers and competitors
2. Organizational Environments and Culture
• Describe the environmental change (the rate at which the company’s general and specific environment changes). Is the environment stable or dynamic?
• Describe the environmental complexity (the number and intensity of external factors that affect the organization). Is the environment simple or complex?
• Discuss the key factors in the organization’s general environment and how they have impacted its success
• Discuss the key factors in the organization’s specific environment and how they have impacted its success
• Discuss actions that management has taken to control its environment
• Describe the organizational culture and discuss how that has changed or remained constant over time
• Discuss how that culture has contributed to the organization’s success
3. Managing Innovation and Change
• Discuss the role that innovation has played in the success of the company
• Discuss how the company manages change and assess the effectiveness of their process
4. Organizational Structure and Leadership
• Describe the formal organizational structure and any significant changes which have occurred in the past 20 years to that structure
• Profile its top leadership (include names, a summary of backgrounds, reputation in the industry, leadership style etc.)
• To what extent is the personality of leaders reflected in the culture and management practices organization
4. Diversity Management
• Discuss the organization’s track record and reputation on diversity management (as it applies to employees and vendors).
5. The Future
• What would you say are the most significant problems and opportunities facing the company today?
• What recommendations would you make as to how they should solve the problems and exploit the opportunities?
C. Research Methods
You should use the World Wide Web, electronic databases, financial data, the organization’s Annual Report, biographies of founders, press releases, the organization’s website, promotional materials (including magazines, brochures, catalogs, advertisements) professional journals, and employee interviews (via phone, e-mail, or in-person) where possible.
D. Length and Format of Report
The body of the report must be a minimum of 4pages NOT double spaced
The report must include these parts:
1. Cover Page. Title of report, name of organization studied name of preparer, date, and course.
2. Research Methods. How you gathered your information and how you organized and analyzed it to come to your conclusions. (Library, interviews, www, etc.)
3. Body of Paper
4. References—A list of the sources you used to gather the data to write the report, including names of those interviewed and dates you interviewed them (whether by phone, fax, e-mail, or in-person). Be sure to DOCUMENT with a full notation, in the body of the report, which of these references was used, including author, title, dates, page, etc.
Use double-spacing and one-inch margins all around, with 10- or 12-point type. Use headings and subheadings for each of the main divisions or paragraphs of the report. Proofread and spell-check your work.
WRITING STYLE STATEMENT:
All papers which are to be submitted during this course should:
• Have New Times Roman font size 12.
• Be proofread – it is strongly encouraged to have papers proofread in the Learning centers.
• Be double-spaced.
• Do not copy work from the internet or any other source without citing in APA format.
• Be on standard white paper, printed with adequate ink, numbered, stapled, with clear pagination and the student’s name on each page. The front page should be headed as follows:
Course and Section:
Assignment Name: Date:
Assignments will be graded upon content as well as presentation, timeliness and correct use of English. Be careful with your assignments. Write them and proofread them well in advance of the due date.
SUGGESTED TERM PAPER TOPICS
1. How Effective Are Performance Appraisals?
2. New Trends and challenges In Employee Relations
3. Legalization of same-sex marriage
4. Legalization of marijuana for recreational use
5. Should Firms Offer Benefits to Same-Sex Couples?
6. Diversity In The Workforce
7. Women In Management
8. Career Planning
9. Employee Training
10. Managing Change Effectively
11. The Challenge Of Globalization
12. Motivating, Empowering, and Rewarding Employees
13. Implications due to states laws passage of the use Medical Marijuana
Image preview for”the term project is a written report on the Human Resources Management policies and practices of an organization”