1. Complete the template provided on this page (it can be copied and pasted into a document) and submit the questions, answers and 500 words (minimum) summary.
Sources for the Assignment – Special Reports (choose articles from these Reports):
These are the sources that should be used for this assignment and are relevant to the content and period of the course.
The following URLs provide links to “Special Reports” published by Smithsonian Magazine. Each Special Report includes multiple articles addressing that theme. Each article has its own title and link within the Special Report.
Week 3 – choose a different article from a different Special Report for that week’s Critical Summary
Special Report – “Powering the 21st Century” https://www.smithsonianmag.com/specialreports/powering-the-21st-century-180947984/
Note: These articles are available at no cost to the reader. Subscription purchase to these sites is not a requirement of the course.
Critical Summary Assignment
Complete and submit the information in each of the following Sections I – III.
Section I – information about the source
Title of the article:
Author of the article:
Date of article’s publication:
Volume number/page numbers (if applicable):
Complete URL (for the specific article used for the assignment):
Section II – questions –
Provide accurate answers with details that are relevant to the source.
1. Who is the article about?
2. What is the article about?
3. Where is the article set?
4. When is the article set?
5. Why is the article being written?
6. How can historians use the information in the article?
7. List three things in the article that you think are important.
8. What is the context of the article – in other words, what else do you know about what was happening in the period that the article was written?
9. What is/was the cause of the event?
10. What is/was the result – impact and outcome – of the event?
Section III – summary
Write a summary of the article, including the most important information that the reader of the article needs to know. The summary should be a minimum of 500 words and presented in essay format with complete sentences. (Use the answers to the analysis questions in Section II to compile the summary.
Image preview for”week 3 – choose a different article from a different Special Report for that week’s Critical Summary”