Concept Explication: Part 1
For this assignment, you will choose a concept from the list below and do a concept explication. You need to inform me by Sept 18 which concept you have chosen. The written explication should be in APA format and should not be longer than 10 pages, double–spaced with reasonable margins and font (excluding references).
Here are your choices for the explication:
• advertising avoidance
• attitude (toward the ad)
• implicit memory (for the ad)
• (advertising) exposure
The primary purpose of an explication is to take a general concept, refine it, determine how to test for it, and then carry out the test (this last part will be what you focus on for part 2).
The key elements of your explication will be:
• A thorough literature review
o Including all major relevant theories and constructs related to your concept
o Methods and measurement instruments used to assess the concept
o Identification of pitfalls and traps experienced by other researchers and/or across studies • Conceptualization
o Given what you’ve learned and communicated in the literature review, provide a narrow definition of the construct(s) that comprise the general concept
o The constructs and definitions can be taken directly from previous studies and/or be a refined definition based on multiple studies
o How can these constructs be measured?
o Provide the specific instruments and make clear how the instruments assess each construct and how they relate to one another theoretically.
Some questions to consider as you research and write your explication:
• Is it a variable?
• How is it defined in the literature?
• What are the different conceptual names and meanings?
• What are the conceptual definitions?
• What are the operational definitions?
• After choosing an operationalization: Describe its empirical nature more specifically • Alternative approaches to definitions
• How specifically is it measured?
• What is the unit of analysis?
• Is it an independent, intervening, or dependent variable?
• How does it vary? (e.g. Overtime? Across people? Within people? Between ads?)
Image preview for”for this assignment, you will choose a concept from the list below and do a concept explication.”