MPSM 510 Module 1 Writing Assignment 1 – The Difference Between Leadership and Management in Sports
As you read the posted HBS case study (and be sure to look at the exhibits starting on page 12) about the Tampa Bay Lightning and owner Jeff Vinik, you can see that the organization began to change upon his taking ownership in 2010. In your readings for this week, “What Leaders Really Do” there is a focus on the difference between leadership and management. As we apply this to the sports industry, and specifically look at the Tampa Bay Lightning under Vinik’s ownership there are several important takeaways from the reading and the Kotter principles.
For this assignment, consider the questions below, and then using both the Tampa Bay Lightning reading, and the Kotter reading, answer the questions below. The suggested format is for you to copy/paste the question (using the bold type) and then complete your answer below it.
Your total word count should not exceed 800-1000 words. 200-250 words per question should be sufficient.
1. Who is Jeff Vinik? What is the profile of Mr. Vinik (like many others who become owners in team sports) what is his background before owning the team, etc.?
2. Per Kotter, since the function of leadership is to produce change; setting the direction of that change is fundamental to leadership. How did Jeff Vinik ‘set the direction’ that produced change for the franchise upon taking control as the owner in 2010-11? What was (or not) happening before, and then after he assumed ownership? What are some examples you can point to from what you read? How did he act as more of a ‘leader’ than a manager (using Kotter’s template for leaders vs managers)?
3. When Vinik purchased the team they had approximately 4,000 full-season ticket sales. Describe what has happened to season ticket sales over the period 2011-2017? What can this increase be attributed to –specifically citing examples in the case and from what you know about the NHL?
4. Kotter refers to the term ‘alignment’ (aligning people) in regard to leaders. The question has two parts:
A. Explain what Kotter means by ‘alignment’ vs what he describes as the alternative.
B. How did Jeff Vinik ‘align’ his hockey franchise with the community and what were some of those outcomes? Use at least one example from the reading.
5. Finally, from the Tampa Bay Lightning case reading, explain the progress in the team’s financial performance (over time) and what are the most important/essential factors (drivers of revenue) for an NHL team and why
Image preview for”consider the questions below, and then using both the Tampa Bay Lightning reading, and the Kotter reading, answer the questions below.”