PURPOSE OF RESEARCH PAPER
The purpose of the research paper is to summarize and critically analyze a criminal justice issue related to this
course that you have chosen. This will involve:
Sun, Surrey Now-Leader, Indo Canadian Voice Newspaper, North Delta Reporter, Globe and Mail, New York Times, etc.).
The article must represent a criminal justice issue that is discussed in this course and written about in the course textbook.
- Summarize the news article in your own words. This may require you to locate previously related news articles on the issue if the case was reported on previously.
- Identify what criminal justice substantive issue is represented by this news article (ex. wrongful convictions) and the component of the criminal justice system it represents (ex. courts and sentencing)
- Summarize the information provided in the course textbook on this issue, in your own words. How does
the author of the textbook, Dr. Griffiths present and discuss this criminal justice issue?
- Summarize two peer-reviewed, empirical primary research articles on this criminal justice issue
- Discuss your own personal opinion on this criminal justice issue and why you feel the way you do about it
- Provide a discussion of the opposite perspective to yours on this criminal justice issue. In what way may other people feel about this issue and why would they feel differently than you?
- Provide a concluding paragraph
You should easily be able to identify a media/news story regarding a criminal justice issue. Be sure to identify what substantive issue it represents and what component of the criminal justice system it is from. For example, perhaps you read an article in the Vancouver Sun that discussed recent research showing that police officers are far more likely to issue a ticket to someone of minority status. This would represent the substantive issue of racial profiling and would be found within the policing component of the criminal justice system.
Image preview for”discuss your own personal opinion on this criminal justice issue and why you feel the way you do about it“