TERM THEORY PAPER
Examine the following reports about Temporary Foreign Workers in Canada from the lenses of A) Marxist Criminology B) Feminist Criminology C) Intersectional Criminology:
– MWAC (2020) “Unheeded Warnings: COVID-19 and Migrant Workers”, The Migrant Worker’s Alliance for Change, https://migrantworkersalliance.org/wpcontent/uploads/2020/06/Unheeded-Warnings-COVID19-and-Migrant-Workers.pdf o See also the CBC coverage of the report: Harris, K (2020) “Exploitation, abuse, health hazards rise for migrant workers during COVID-19, group says” CBC News, 8 June, https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/migrant-workers-farm-deaths-report1.5602596
– Weiler, A., & Cohen, A. (2018). Migrant farmworkers are vulnerable to sexual violence. The Conversation, May 1. https://theconversation.com/migrant-farm-workers-vulnerableto-sexual-violence-95839
This assignment is designed to assess the following skills:
• The ability to do close readings of the theoretical texts
• The ability to put theoretical perspectives in conversation with one another
• The ability to pinpoint the strengths and limitations of theories
Writing Tips. & Formatting Instructions
• Treat these reports as if they were parts of a single large report about the Temporary Foreign Workers in Canada.
• You can draw sections from the CBC Coverage of the MWAC report. However, please make sure that you primarily use the main report.
• Apply the main concepts and themes of the theories to analyze the relevant empirical issues in the reports.
• Try to pinpoint the strengths and limitations of theories in explaining specific issues in the reports, and try to put them in dialogue.
o For instance, explain which elements in the reports can be adequately explained by Marxist Criminology (by which Marxist concepts/themes), which may not be fully or adequately explained by Marxist Criminology (explain why), and state which other theory (e.g. Feminist or Intersectional Criminology) can better explain those elements. Follow the same format also for Feminist Criminology and Intersectional Criminology.
Image preview for”examine the following reports about Temporary Foreign Workers in Canada from the lenses”