Midterm Exam – Essay #3
Compare and Contrast
Write an essay of about 600-800 words in which you compare and contrast TWO animated short films in order to convince the reader that one is more effective OR entertaining than the other.
In other words, your essay should have a purpose beyond pointing out similarities and differences between the two films, and it should be summed up in a clear, concise thesis.
Sample Thesis Statements:
• “Video 1” delivers its message more effectively than “Video 2.”
• “While “Video 1” and “Video 2” share the same theme, “Video 2” is more entertaining to watch.
• “Video 1” is more entertaining than “Video 2” because of the humorous message, upbeat music, and striking visual images.
• “Video 2” is more effective because of its uplifting message, artistic style, and use of symbols.
• Although the two films both explore the theme of racism, I enjoyed watching “Video 1” more because of its clear narration, memorable characters, and hopeful message.
1. Use either point-by-point or block organization.
2. The body of your essay should discuss three points of comparison/contrast:
• You must compare/contrast the message or theme of each film: What is the point?
• Choose two more points of comparison/contrast from the options below to continue your essay’s discussion:
–Option A: The techniques and devices used to convey this point/message. Think about the use of things like visual elements (color, exaggerated features, artistic style); narration; imagery/symbolism; irony; metaphor; music and sound;facts, statistics or data; written text (words, phrase, sentences), etc.
–Option B: Character development: How did a character in each film change or come to an important realization that helped emphasize the meaning of the film?
*To be clear: In addition to the message or theme, you should compare/contrast two techniques/devices (from Option A) OR one technique/device (from Option A) and character development (Option B).*
3. Be certain to provide specific references and examples from the films to support your discussion; however, be mindful not to simply offer summaries of the films. Think of the films as the “texts” you will be referencing to support your claims.
4. Be certain that your comparison and contrast discussion connects to your overall purpose (Which film was more entertaining or effective?).
Image preview for”write an essay of about 600-800 words in which you compare and contrast TWO animated short films”