HIS Western Civ
Module 1 Discussion 3: WOW! Lesson
The WOW discussion is an opportunity to share with the class something that surprised you in your reading, research, or study of the topics we cover in this module. As you read and watch the stories that make up our history, look for things that make you say to yourself “I didn’t know that” or “WOW! That’s cool!”. You will convert this fun fact or pertinent point into a mini-lesson on the topic and share it with your peers in this discussion.
This assignment is designed to help you develop an internal dialogue while reading and studying history. An internal dialogue while reading makes us more effective readers and efficient learners, as it improves understanding and memory of stories told in the text.
2. Identify the origins of humankind (A, B, D, E, G, K)
3. Describe the discoveries of Mesopotamia and Egypt that led them to be the first urbanized civilizations. (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, K)
4. Examine the semi-nomadic societies and the monotheistic religious traditions they established. (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, K)
5. Identify the first Greek-speaking societies, their collapse, and the emergence of a more powerful civilization. (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, K)
6. Examine how the Greek victory over Persia allowed for great political and cultural production. (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, K)
Image preview for”this assignment is designed to help you develop an internal dialogue while reading and studying history. “