Assignment 1 gives you to opportunity to reflect on your career choice and how you wish to
proceed when you graduate. Write a one-to-two-page document (approximately 700 words). Include
academic research, primary research, and personal reflection.
This assignment requires you to do two things:
1) Show that you’ve made a wise career choice and that are suited for the career.
2) Think about what kind of a job you want and what kind of a firm you wish to work for.
3) Review and implement the knowledge about writing business documents you gained in CMNS 1140.
- Why this career?
Some possible questions you could ask yourself are…
• Why do you choose this career?
• Are there good job opportunities?
• Are the salaries good? Great?
• Do people who do this job report job satisfaction,
• Is the career field expanding? What does the future hold?
• You must also include your own personal reflection on how this is relevant to you.
• What is it about this career that appeals to you? What personal characteristics do you have that
it a good fit for you?
- What do you want in a job?
Think about what kind of a job you want and what kind of a firm you wish to work for. Things you
might consider could be…..
• Are there good opportunities? Initial employment? Advancement? Salary?
• Do you want to work for a small firm/ big firm? Why?
• Is work life balance important to you? What does that mean to you?
• Is corporate social responsibility important to you? What would be essential or a deal breaker
• What benefits are important to you? Flex hours? Extended benefits? Pension? Remote
• What is normal in your industry? Permanent employee? Contract? What’s the difference and
what do you want?
- Review the things you learned in CMNS 1140. Use proper document format. Consider document
design and readability e.g. use headings and white space appropriately.
You must include at least one citation to a peer-reviewed secondary source (you can also use popular
magazines, but one must be an academic peer-reviewed article, and one a primary source. If you are not
clear on the difference between primary and secondary research, please see the textbook or ask me.
Be sure to provide a balance of research and self-reflection. You need to provide specific current data
for your career prospects.
- Submit two copies of exactly the same report – one in memo format and one in letter format.
This is a good review of business document formats which you should have covered in CMNS
- Do you remember when you would you use a memo vs a letter in an office? Check the
text for samples.
- Single space and left justify your documents – all business documents follow this pattern.
- Include both primary and secondary research.
- Include (a) At least one direct quote (b) At least one paraphrase. Again, this is a review of CMNS
- If you have questions, review to the resources in the text, on the course website or the
- Use MLA style documentation unless you use another style for work. Please contact me if you
currently use a different documentation style.
- Use effective document design. Consider white space, headings, and visual design features.
- Because this is your first paper and I want to assess your knowledge of writing, you must also
bold your thesis statement and underline the topic sentence in each paragraph. Think about
paragraph unity and cohesion. (See the grammar review document.) Do this for only one of the
documents. It doesn’t matter if it is the letter or the memo. I just want to see your thought
- Consider using the following sections:
a. State the topic of the paper, explain the importance of the topic and summarize your
b. Discuss the research and your own analysis here.
c. Summarize your discussion and conclude.